Monday, June 3, 2013

Style Adventures ( Top 5 Bargain Shopping Destinations)

STYLE ADVENTURES 

(Top 5 Bargain Shopping Destinations)


The 'Style Adventures' post is about how to add to your wardrobe using antique shops, thrift stores, yard sales and other venues. We travel Ohio and beyond discovering unique and stylish items we want to share and the places we found them. 

 It is almost a year  from the date we started our blog with the first 'Style Adventures' post last July. There have been 10 Volumes of this post and I have found places that I have loved so much that I have revisited or plan to. With the busy 'Style Adventures' season just ahead, I wanted to share some of my favorite destinations from 'Style Adventures' with you. If you are close by or want to take a ride for the heck of it, these are the places that I think are truly worth it. I have found some of my favorite pieces in these places. 

Kris,


5. Second Time Around ( Vol. 3)
8534 S. State Rt. 4
Attica, Ohio 44807

Photos: Me on the Second Time Around front porch & jewelry section inside


Second Time Around use to be a public school in Attica in the early nine-teen hundreds. The couple who runs the place and also live on site, kept some of the school interior remnants. When you walk in behind the desk where the transactions take place you will find an enclose bulletin board with eerie black and white class pictures, old news articles and hand written notices. In the room to the left you will find the chalkboards as they hung exactly 100 years ago. Last year was the anniversary year. Since the couple live in the shop, you are welcome to ring the doorbell at any time if you want to browse or shop. If they are there, they will open up for you.

What I love about this place is the history and like most of my selections, the jewelry section.


4. The House in Circleville ( Vol. 1)
(Former Fireside Inn Indoor Yard Sale)
 428 Main Street, Circleville Ohio
Photo:The front of  the Circleville home

 This historical building is not an antique shop, it is a residence. The couple, John and Jacqui Denen, open up their home on select weekends to sell antiques. They do this to fund the restoration of the place which is 100 plus years old. They sell old photos, antiques, vintage jewelry and accessories.

The last time I was there I bought several vintage jewelry items that came from an estate they recently came across.

The next planned dates to shop: July 4-7 & September 12-15 Hours: 9-5 (or later)
Contact: former_firside_inn@yahoo.com

3. The Shops of Lebanon ( Vol. 6 & 7)
(Miller's Antique Market, Broadway Antique Mall, Cabins to Castles & Beneath the Tree)

I could not pick just one so I decided to just bunch all of the shops I have featured from Historic Downtown Lebanon together. Make a day of it and head to Lebanon. The small town is known for great antique shopping. If you have a free Saturday, drive over to Lebanon, just outside of Cincinnati. Have brunch at The Golden Lamb, the oldest hotel in Ohio known for it's famous patrons which include many presidents, writers and political figures. Take an hour ride on the LM&M train where you will get a great view of nature while you learn about railroad history and operations. Afterward take your time walking through the many vintage shops and specialty stores. Have some sweets at Frost Cupcake Bar or ice cream at Village Ice Cream Parlor. Even those who aren't into antiques or shopping will find something to amuse themselves. 

Photo:Miller's Antique Market sign and a jewelry case inside
Miller's Antique Market
201 South Broadway
Lebanon, Ohio 

 I love Miller's Antique Market because it is so large and I always find something. I have visited this store a few times and have found great gifts for friends, jewelry items and even a vintage turban that was made in Britain.  


Photo: The Broadway Antique Mall store front

Broadway Antique Mall
15-17 South Broadway 
Lebanon, Ohio 
I have seen many interesting items in Broadway Antique Mall such as wasps nests, jars filled with vintage jewelry and handmade items. I like this place for its baskets of jewelry items. You just have to have time to look through everything.

Photo:Wasps nest for sell at the Broadway Antique Mall
Photos: Me in front of Cabins to Castles store front & Beneath the Tree sign

Cabins to Castles
 107 East Mulberry St.
Lebanon, Ohio 45036

I found one of my favorite hats at Cabins to Castles. I have added a photo at the end of the post. This place is mostly furniture and home decor but it's still worth checking out the small clothing section. 
Beneath the Tree
 9 South Broadway St
Lebanon, Ohio 45036

Photo: Scarves and Accessories at Beneath the Tree
Beneath the Tree has so many fun items for the home, fashion accessories and great gifts. I bought a cute bracelet there but they had a great selection of  fashion scarves and hair accessories when I was there last.


2. Timber Tunes ( Vol. 2)
9862 Johnstown-Utica Rd. (Rt. 62)
Johnstown, Ohio 43031
Photos: Timber Tunes front door & sign
Timber Tunes is a hidden gem located in Johnstown, Ohio. You drive past an antiques sign and a hand crafted canoe down a long driveway/road past fruit filled apples trees and a beautiful house to the left before you arrive in front of the shop. The shop is a refurbished big red barn.  A couple, Karl & Linda Harris own and run the shop. They specialize in making music boxes out of reclaimed timber from barns, fallen trees, fence post and even bowling pins, hence the name. They also offer a variety of antiques along with handmade furniture made by Karl on site.


Photo:The large jewelry display case in Timber Tunes

The reason I love Timber Tunes is the large jewelry cases filled with a variety of great pieces. I have purchased many jewelry items here. If that doesn't strike your fancy, they carry lots of home accents and trinkets such as statues, ceramic items like dishes and lots of home decor. The store has several rooms and even little shack like buildings outside full of merchandise.

1. Caesar Creek Markets ( Vol. 9)
 7763 Ohio 73
Wilmington, Ohio 45177


Photo:The Caesar Creek Market sign you see from the highway.

Photo: Caesar Creek Vendor with accessories and beauty items

You can find anything there from tools, clothing, food, pets and even an eye doctor. Now, I don't think I would see an eye doctor at a flea market but I am sure the doc probably offers great rates. This place is also a great place for people watching.  

I love this place because you can find anything you want. You could spend a day here, eat concession type food, and may not get to all the vendors. There is merchandise inside and outside.

Some of My Favorite Items Found During a Style Adventure!


I buy items that often end up in my closet posts. These are some of my favorite items from past adventures.  The first two items, the necklace in photo 1 and skirt in photo 2, aren't from the places I have featured in this post but feel free to look them up in past Style Adventures Vol. 4 ( Chesterville & Columbus) if you'd like. The hat I found at Cabins to Castles is my absolute favorite purchase.

Photos: brass necklace for $0.25 from Cheterville Flea Market, high-low tribal skirt $7 from Roses & Fedora hat $15 from Cabins to Castles

For more details about the featured locations, check out the original posts marked next to the names. Look for new Style Adventures coming soon! Fashionista's, antiquers & store owners! Got a store or area I should visit? Leave me a comment.
Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,

No comments: