Thursday, June 20, 2013

ChristinaKristin's Fashion Night Out! June 14, 2013


ChristinaKristin's Fashion Night Out!
Special Edition Chris's/Kris's Closet
June 14, 2013


THE GREAT GATSBY PARTY

Friday night, Kristin and I attended a "Great Gatsby" inspired event. We are always up for a costume party, and were super excited to get dressed up in our own rendition of the glamorous 1920's. That afternoon we both went internet surfing for inspiration. If you follow us on facebook, you will see some of the inspiration pictures that were posted. In case you missed it, we created an inspiration board to share with you.

When going to a themed event it is much easier to gather inspiration before going to shop, that way you know exactly what you are looking for. Here are a collection of pictures that inspired us.

Inspiration

Photos courtesy of: www.vogue.com, www.weddingbells.ca, www.scoop.it



Shopping At Easton ( H&M/Forever 21)

Onto the shopping. Kristin and I were both on a budget, so we went to the two most inexpensive stores at Easton, H&M and Forever 21. Forever 21 actually had several dresses with drop waists that were inspired by the 20's. I was only looking for a shirt, which I found in H & M. I knew I wanted a shirt that was not too blousy, I wanted to have a sleek silhouette especially since my skirt had a lot of fabric around the waist. Kristin picked this shirt out for me, she found it as soon as we walked in the store. It was a steal for only $10, I also purchased a knit mini skirt that I wore as a tube top up under the shirt for only $5.95.

                              Christina                                                                     Kristin

Christina's Look!

When choosing my outfit the first thing I did was brainstorm what  was already in my closet.  I knew that I already had a black silk BCBG wrap skirt  that I purchased at a discount when I was employed there. I pulled the skirt out of the bottom of a suitcase, therefore it was extremely disheveled and wrinkled. I already had jewelry and shoes, all I needed was a shirt. 

All of my jewelry is Stella & Dot. I opted to stick with black and gold, which I have a lot of. The tassel necklace was perfect because it fit the  long silhouette of jewelry worn in the 20's, the tassel was an added bonus. My t-strap heels are Steve Madden that I purchased last year on my birthday, this was my second time wearing these shoes. I found a similar pair here. Honestly, they hurt if I wear them too long, but because of the t-strap they went perfect with the era I was dressing for. The black feather fascinator in my hair, is a ChristinaKristin original. We also design custom hair accessories by request. 



Kristin's Look!

I originally planned to wear something I already had but I struggled with items because of weight gain. I suddenly had a moment where I wished I could go back in time six months to shed these extra pounds. The dress I wanted to wear was a size six and I am now a size ten. I also pulled from my closet a very art deco feeling skirt that I would have just needed a shirt for (seen in my dressing room photo above). I found the perfect top but I felt the overly beaded waist on my skirt was unflattering to my wider waist. With Christina's help at Forever 21 I opted for a solid black drop waist dress for $24.80. I knew I could do more with the abundance of turbans, hair accessories, jewelry, shoes and bags that I already owned.


I chose to accessorize with gold and black. Just about all my jewelry items were pieces that I normally wear. I bought a bracelet/ring for $3.80 at Forever 21 and I borrowed my mom's Stella & Dot Starstruck cocktail ring that Christina our Stella & Dot Stylist also happened to be wearing. The snake wrap bracelet is from etsy, the pearl stretch bangle was $1.99 at the Valley Thrift Store outside Dayton. I also wore the Artemis Cuff from Stella & Dot which has lion heads at each in and felt very art deco. My purse came from a vintage shop in Grove City.


I continued with my gold and black accessories. My earrings originally came from Macy's a  couple years ago. The shoes are some designer inspired shoes that I bought from Forever 21 quite a few years ago. The fox scarf, I bought on ebay during a fur scarf phase also purchased a few years ago. I was happy to finally wear a fur item this season since it is on trend for Spring/Summer 2013.

Devin's Look!
Devin is my sister (Kristin speaking), can you see any resemblance? Remember the dress I spoke about earlier? Well I thought someone should wear the dress, so I put it on Devin. I love any opportunity to play dress up with my sister. The dress is about six years old. I found it a JC Penney and originally wore it for a landmark birthday. The combination of dress shape, pleats, lace and beading really made this dress feel like something from the art deco era. I accessorized the dress with Stella & Dot Cleo Fringe earrings, a black beaded purse with a vintage look and stuck loose feathers into my sister's bun. She wore her own shoes and bracelets. I wish I would have taken photos of the heels of her shoes because they were very art deco inspired.


More Photos!
photo 1: ChristinaKristin  say Gatsby! Kristin left & Christina right, photo 2: Bourbon Appreciation Day! Yima, Kristin & Devin,  photo 3: Turban Time with Yima! our friend Yima
Until next time, Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Chris & Kris,
Ciao!

No comments: