Tuesday, February 19, 2013

This Month's Obsession



This Month's Obsession!!!

Often I see a trend or an accessory that takes over my mind. I see it, I fall in love with it and then I obsess about it. Once the feeling hits me, I go into research mode then I must have it, so I buy it. Then I buy it again in three more colors or variations in styles. Yes, if I love it then I need to have options and options. Then soon after, I have moved on to a new love. Today my obsession is... 

FUR!!!

Style Icon Photos from left to right: Diane Carroll, Josephine Baker, Marilyn Monroe, Darlene Dietrich, Katharine Hepburn, Darlene Dietrich, Audrey Hepburn, Liz Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, Dorothy Dandrige, Audrey Hepburn

Fur is such a controversial subject. There are people who are such animal lovers that they refuse to wear fur and hate the idea of anyone else wearing it. Then there is the other side, those who love fur and love wearing it. I happen to be a fur lover. It's not that I don't love or appreciate animals and their lives. I am a native Floridian who never quite got use to a real winter. No matter how long I have had to brave the cold Ohio winters, I am still lost without the warmth of a fur hat or coat. I am also a huge fan of fashion and old Hollywood glam. Old Hollywood was about glamour and femininity. It was a time when fur was the norm. Fur was seen as a sign of wealth and style. Fur has always made me think of all the old Hollywood starlets and old movies where a lady looked like a lady. I think about being a small girl in the 80's watching Diane Carroll in episodes of Dynasty. I remember seeing Elizabeth Taylor almost always in furs until the last of her days. I remember looking through library books about style icons as a preteen and learning about icons like Katharine Hepburn and Darlene Dietrich. All of these women became my style icons. They all wore fur and wore it well.


Fur for Spring?
 Saint Laurent top left, Prada middle and bottom right, Fendi bottom left and top right

I was kind of surprised to see that fur surfaced in such a big way for Spring 2013. It graced the runways of design houses like Fendi, Prada and Saint Laurent. It got me curious. How do you wear fur when the temperature is warm? I started doing a lot of research and still haven't found an answer I am totally satisfied with but what I gathered I will share with you.

It kind of makes sense that you would wear fur in the spring because it is still kind of cold in the beginning of the season but as summer approaches it gets tricky. What I propose with what I personally know as someone with a decent size fur collection, is to find a few pieces you can wear now until mid-spring. Then you can return to these same pieces the following fall/winter. You can always go faux if you aren't comfortable with the idea of real fur. Now is a great time to find faux coats and vest on sale since the stores are stocked with new spring merchandise. If you would like a real piece but can't afford a new one or maybe you just rather go vintage because of your principles, thrift and antique shops are a great place to find vintage furs. I don't have a lot of money myself, so the only newer furs I have ever purchased have been rabbit. It is the least expensive of the furs and can be found in most coat or leather retailers.


Spring 2013 Fur Accessories

 mink purse by Prada, all shoes are by Saint Laurent, tribal necklace by Akong


I can't imagine sitting around in a fur coat or hat in 80 degree temperatures. Whoo!Talk about sweating. Once the temperature changes I suggest incorporating fur into your spring/summer wardrobe using accessories. A purse or shoe with fur trim will keep you on trend without making you uncomfortable. On a cooler day or for evening you may be able to get away with a light fur jacket or fur collar. A fur stole is always great for formal occasions. Another suggestion is a animal tail to hang from the belt loops of a pair of jeans or the strap of your purse.

How I wear my fur



I own a combination of fur coats, jackets and accessories in all three categories but mostly vintage. I received and wore my first two fur coats when I was in high school. I had a silver fox and my favorite was an ivory leather and mink jacket.  They were heirlooms given to me by my gramsey Nolan. I literally wore them until they fell apart. Then I bought my first few rabbit fur jackets in my teens and early twenties. The last rabbit I bought was a red, pink and white jacket( featured above right). Recently my collection has grown by five. I bought a Betsey Johnson faux fur vest (featured above left) at the end of last year at TJ Maxx.  I was given a jacket and two coats including the vintage mink (featured above middle) by my late grandfather's wife. Then I found a great black vintage jacket thrifting a couple months ago. Look for it in a future closet post.

These are the ways I like to wear fur. 
How do you like to wear yours?

Thank you for stopping by!
For ideas and suggestions for spring fur accessories, check out my etsy treasury.
http://www.etsy.com/treasury/MTQwMTM3Mzh8MjcyMTQwODkzMw/fur-for-spring


Photo Credits: style.com, talkshoes.com, stylebistro.com, highsnobette.com, minkguardian.co.uk, fineartamerica.com, myvicariouslife.com, womenshistory.about.com, ladyviolette.com, maryloucinnamon.com, wickmedia.org, getfiercestyle.com, flickr.com, newyorksocialdiary.com,
weheartit.com

No comments: