Tuesday, January 15, 2013

This Month's Obsession

This Month's Obsession!!!

Often I see a trend or an accessory that takes over my mind. I see it, I fall in love with it and then I obsess about it. Once the feeling hits me, I go into research mode then I must have it, so I buy it. Then I buy it again in three more colors or variations in styles. Yes, if I love it then I need to have options and options. Then soon after, I have moved on to a new love. Today my obsession is... 

My grandma wearing a turban with a evening attire on a cruise.

The TURBAN!!!
The turban has been around for thousands of years, worn mostly by men but also women of different cultures to signify religious observance and individuality. A true turban is created by winding clothe around ones head. 

The fashion turban also referred to as both the urban or suburban turban, was popular in the 1920's, 1940's and then again in the 1970's.  Women like Marlene Dietrich made the look popular through out her career in the 20's through 40's. For those who aren't familiar, she was an actress of that time and is mentioned as a style icon in every book I have read about women who have influenced fashion.  My grandma, a fashionista of her time, wore them in the 70's. Then in 2010 we saw the trend make it's return on screen on another one of my personal style icons, Sarah Jessica Parker. She wore turbans in a few scenes in the Sex and the City 2 movie. So when it started showing up on runways and in the streets this last few years, I was excited.

 
With the remake of movie The Great Gatsby as many designers inspiration, the trend was popular last summer and has carried into fall/winter with variations made for winter weather. Then it showed up in September on runways for Spring/Summer 2013.  It showed in the Marc by  Marc Jacobs show and Beccaria of Milan for women. It also showed in Jean Paul Gaultier's collection for men. Though I do not expect to see many men in my community rocking the turban, I expect that this will be very popular with the fashion forward ladies.

Marlene Dietrich 1938 in Algiers
Gramsey Nolan in 1973 on vacation wearing the same turban dressed down.
SJP as Carrie in Sex and the City 2 wearing a turban. google photo
Spring 2013 Collections left to right: Marc by Marc Jacobs, Beccaria & Marc by Marc Jacobs
google photos
Jean Paul Gaultier Spring 2013 photos courtesy style.com
Paris Street Style Photo courtesy of elle.com


 
Where to get a turban!!!

 I haven't found turbans easily in my city. We aren't really known for fashion. So I bought mine from a seller online at etsy.com. I also ran into one in a vintage shop in Lebanon, Ohio. Here are some other turbans I found online. Wear them now in knits and velvet. Then wear them in less heavy fabrics all spring and summer. I really love the headband look for spring. 
1.rust knitted turban asos.com ( Great to wear for winter weather!)
2.printed turbans ebay.com ( Only $6.50 with FREE shipping!)
3.cobalt turban headband etsy.com
4.fushia turban villagehatshop.com (many color options)
5.velvet leopard turban karmaloop.com
6.orange lace turban by Betsey Johnson at 6pm.com ( also comes in lime)

Me on my way out the door Saturday.

Thank you for stopping by!
For more turbans for purchase or inspiration, check out my etsy treasury.
http://www.etsy.com/treasury/MTQwMTM3Mzh8MjcyMzgyOTYzNA/turban-time
Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,

No comments: