Thursday, March 28, 2013

Thursday's Inspiration


Twice a week Kristin and I both create collections on a site called etsy. On etsy these collections are called treasuries. The reason why I enjoy doing them so much is because I feel like a fashion editor creating a cohesive display of items for a magazine. I am usually inspired by the collections I create either in my own personal life, or through my designs. So I decided, why not blog a little more in depth about the inspiration behind the treasuries I create.

My goal is to not only inspire you the reader, but also take my inspiration to the next level. I hope you enjoy this series as I much as I enjoy creating it!

*Chris*



This week Kristin and I were both inspired by Nordstrom's video "All on the Wrist", if you missed the video click the link. The video showcased layering bracelets in a teachable fun way. To continue on with the layering bracelet inspiration I created an etsy treasury that showcases strictly arm wear. Today's inspiration was inspired by culture as well as vintage looks, which brings us to this Spring's arm party trend.


Layering jewelry, in my opinion was ultimately inspired by many tribal cultures. The picture on the left is of the Samburu tribe of Kenya. The women are known to wear layers of colorful earrings, necklaces and bracelets. The Indian Lambada tribal women on the right, are best known for their signature silver jewelry and white bangles.

Photo courtesy of: L www.tumblr.com,R: www.hindustantimes.com


To further prove that tribal cultures inspired this "arm party" trend, the woman on the left is Nancy Cunard, she was a 1920's eccentric heiress, writer and political activist. She was born to a British upper class family and devoted much of her life to fighting racism and fascism. She is well-known for her style which was inspired by artifacts of African culture. She favored, crafted wood, bone and ivory, and natural materials used by native craftspeople. Because of her style she received a lot of media attention. The fashion world went on to name her style "avant-garde".


Photos courtesy of: www.girlofacertainage.com 



Who doesn't know the woman on the right? The one and only Madonna, as you can see she donned the layering bracelet trend at the height of her career in the 80's. Actually all of her bracelets could be worn today and would be considered "in style", from her leather stud cuffs, to the charm bracelets.




Don't forget to check out the etsy treasury that is inspired by arm wear! I hope you were inspired.


So are you ready to indulge in this arm party trend?


Until Next Time, Ciao!

*Chris*



No comments: