Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Style Adventures Vol. 13 ( Harlem, New York)

STYLE ADVENTURES 

(Harlem NY 9/7 & 9/8)

This post is about how to add to your wardrobe using antique shops, thrift stores, yard sales and other venues. We travel Ohio and beyond discovering unique and stylish items we want to share and the places we found them.


Christina and I spent our Saturday and Sunday walking down streets like Lenox & 125th. We stopped to marvel at pieces and purchased those we could not walk away from. I love Harlem! There is so much culture and history there. When you walk down the streets you are surrounded by music, interesting people and my favorite thing, STREET VENDORS.
When I come to Harlem I look forward to checking out each vendor's table and stopping in interesting stores. I have personally found some of my favorite pieces on the streets of Harlem and that weekend was no different. Check out the pieces we found and the places we found them.

Red Umbrella Jewelry
 Located at the corner of 126th St
Harlem , NY 

One of the first things Christina was attracted to was a pair of pink pearl textured spike stud earrings. She bought them for $5. We asked owner Mark if we could take a photo of his stand and he was nice enough to allow us to do so. The intro photo is his as well. Thanks Mark!  He sells handmade and imported jewelry items. 
A little further down the street I found a great pair of wood earrings for myself and a ring made of ceramic and wire. Earrings $10 & Ring $15

Cool Cat
 126 W 125th St
Harlem , NY 


We found a new place that reminded us of a Claires or Icing but better because it catered to our ethnicity and  passions. It was called Cool Cat and housed walls of costume jewelry and accessories. I'd been searching for a decent pair of door knockers and they had the perfect pair for $5. Then Christina ran across some fun knuckle rings that read 'Black Girls Rock!' & 'Natural Girls Rock!' and pointed them out to me. I had a hard time choosing one but I think I made the right decision. Ring $15 Then it broke before I got to wear it. ( Sad Face) I swapped my plain hoops for the door knockers I bought on Saturday. Look for them in a closet post soon.
Door-knockers & knuckle ring
photo courtesy of inhabitat.com
Celebrities Mobile Boutique
 125th (between Lenox Ave & Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd)
Harlem , NY 

Christina and I have long talked about owning a mobile boutique and while in Harlem, we finally got to go inside one. We were super excited about Celebrities. The store was equipped with an on hand make up artist, tons of accessories and a few clothing items.  The shop was fun and well merchandised but we were tired and overwhelmed already from all of the walking and lack of great planning.  I left the boutique empty handed only to want something I saw the next day. They had a fun pair of large sparkly lipstick studs. We returned the next day only to find an empty space where the truck stood the day before. Christina found the facebook page using her phone and messaged to see where we could find the truck. We received a quick response saying the were not open on Sundays. I was heartbroken at first because we were leaving that same night. Fortunately they offered to ship the earrings to me and all was right in the world again.

My earrings arrived on Friday. I was all smiles and ready to find a great outfit to pair them with. Check them out below.
Earrings $20 which included shipping

Look for our new pieces in future closet blog posts! Fashionista's, antiquers & store owners! Got a store or area we should visit? Leave me a comment.
Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,

No comments: