Monday, September 9, 2013

Style Adventures Vol. 12 ( Brooklyn, New York)

STYLE ADVENTURES 

(Brooklyn NY 9/5)

This post is about how to add to your wardrobe using antique shops, thrift stores, yard sales and other venues. We travel Ohio and beyond discovering unique and stylish items we want to share and the places we found them.



In a place known for fashion, where full streets are lined with well known designer brands, we still chose to shop second hand. I personally love the hunt for a bargain. So when we decided to head to Brooklyn for some thrifting on the subway, I was super excited. Many times in New York, I have made my rounds to the normal places like H&M and my personal favorite, Century 21 since New York H&M's tend to have more fashion forward pieces than locations at home and we certainly don't have a Century 21. This time I wanted to shop like I would shop if I were still in Columbus but better, being I was guaranteed a better selection in a more fashion forward city. We ended up finding two great places to shop right next to one another. Check out these shops and some of the items we bought!
Buffalo Exchange
 504 Driggs Ave. ( near N. 9th St.)
Brooklyn , NY 11211

I became a fan of Buffalo Exchange when I was first introduced to the shop in Chicago last year. I came out of the store with a dress and some great accessories last summer so I knew I would probably find some great pieces this time around as well. The window displays were super amazing and fall ready. I couldn't help but photograph one of the looks that all of us briefly drooled over even with four individual style philosophies. The store is a place where you can buy, exchange or sell items. I have never sold to them or exchanged for items but buying pieces from them has been a pleasure. You can get clothing items and accessories for women or men that are on trend and/or very fashion foward.
A Buffalo Exchange window display.
While I was excited to be there, I oddly had no motivation to search through the racks. I payed attention  to the easier items like shoes, jewelry, belts and bags. I ran across a great Coach bag I remember wanting when it came out a while ago. Though it was very affordable second hand, I found myself not wanting it as much as I had originally but I did find a couple items I could not live without. I also treated Christina to a black short romper with studs on the shoulders for a Belated Birthday present. I am sure you will see it on a closet post soon.
A fun Coach I briefly considered.
Since I had not shopped at a Buffalo Exchange in over a year, I hadn't realized they made a policy change for their bags.There were no more free plastic bags, you had to pay for a bag. I found myself  annoyed at first at the idea of paying $2 for a bag to carry out items I was purchasing from their establishment. Once I said okay to the purchase it occurred to me that this was about being green. I  found myself using the bag the rest of my trip to carry my snacks, cosmetics, money and other purchases.
Me going green with my Buffalo Exchange shopping tote.
I left the store with a  birthday gift for Christina and for myself, a Top Shop case for sunglasses and a amazing pair of leopard print Moschino dinner gloves. 
Top Shop Sunglass Case $8 & Leopard Moschino Gloves $28

Monk Vintage
 11 N. State St. 
496 Driggs Ave. ( next door to Buffalo Exchange)
Brooklyn , NY 11211

Right next door to Buffalo Exchange we found Monk Vintage. This was a true vintage shop with prices that were sometimes a little high but not necessarily for NY. I had fun trying on fashion sunglasses and looking through 70's polyester tops. I ran across a beautiful mint colored dress that matched the Cole Haan oxfords I was wearing at the time.  I had to try it on. Though it looked great, I left it behind because it was more of a summer dress and I wanted to focus on the current season. 
 Monk had a fun but cluttered look about it. It felt like an attic with neon colored walls. There was merchandise in every possible space but it didn't really bother me. Behind the register there are dolls hanging from their necks. I found the store charming and amusing.
Christina spent most of her time shopping the accessories in Monk, searching through shoes, bags and belts. She came across a Moroccan looking sack that was covered in sequins with tassels on the bottom. She ended up purchasing the bag which she quickly swapped with her original bag. Look for the bag in the last photo.
Christina checking out shoes near the entrance of the store.
Christina & I at Monk Vintage
Christina's new bag! $15
Look for our new pieces in future closet blog posts! Fashionista's, antiquers & store owners! Got a store or area we should visit? Leave me a comment.
Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,

No comments: