Monday, September 17, 2012

Style Adventures Vol. 7 (Lebanon Pt. II & Athens)


STYLE ADVENTURES 

(Lebanon, Ohio Part II & Athens 9/15 & 9/16)


This is a blog about how to add to your wardrobe using antique shops, thrift stores, yard sales and other venues. We travel Ohio and beyond discovering unique and stylish items we want to share and the places we found them.

Saturday I spent the day in Lebanon for the second time in a few weeks. My guy has work there this month and I have tagged along for his short work days to spend time with him afterward. This time we were determined to hit the antique shops and specialty stores we missed weeks ago. We started at a store called Beneath the Tree. It was closed when we were there last because they do not have Sunday hours.

Beneath the Tree
 9 South Broadway St
Lebanon, Ohio 45036


On the sidewalk in front of the store, my attention was grabbed by several Reno Rose scarves displayed in some of the different ways that the scarf can be worn. I was definitely pulled in by the window display. 

Walking into the store, I immediately smelled a warm and sweet fragrance. It felt like being at my parents house minus all the products. Mom is always burning oil or candles, so warm or fruity scents hit you as the door opens. The scent in the store is a combination of Woodwick candles and sample effusion lamps with oils inside.
The store carries garden supplies/accessories, candles, effusion lamps, cute cards, kitchen items, jewelry, fashion accessories and many novelty items. I loved this kitchen accessory. It rang very true to me.
I loved this headband as well! It was probably put out in the name of Halloween being just around the corner but I saw it as a fun accessory to wear anytime.
Next to the rhinestone spider headband was this wall of scarves, scarf accessories and bags. I was drawn to it because of the color. I love accessories and scarves fit into that category. You can change the course of an outfit with a scarf. You are never limited to possible looks with this one accessory since it can be worn many ways including on your head and as a belt.
With everything I saw in the store, I was most attracted to these Kate & Macy bracelets. I am a huge ladybug fan and when I find cute ladybug accessories I have to have them. My wrists are also very small, so when I find a bracelet that fits it makes sense for me to get it. So with both of these reasons working for me, I left with one Kate & Macy bracelet.

Cabins to Castles
 107 East Mulberry St.
Lebanon, Ohio 45036
Cabins to Castles is a shop that offers new and consigned items. The store carries furniture, antiques, collectibles and vintage fashion items.
When you walk inside, you find a very organized set up. While a lot of the items weren't my particular taste, I appreciated the visual presentation. The store creates the feeling of home with the furniture placement and added touches, the kind of set up you see at new furniture stores. 
The second room translates pretty much the same feel as the first. There is another living room set up and a dining table partially decorated for a holiday family gathering.
Then you come to a section of the store with a sign that reads CC's Boutique. Next to this sign there are articles of vintage clothing and about a dozen vintage hats. This is where I got excited. I was drawn to a blue fedora that was made in Switzerland for Lazarus Columbus. I laughed when I read the tag. Oh Lazarus & City Center! You are missed!
Day 2 Athens Ohio

Sunday the fella and I rode around southern Ohio. We ended up in Athens, Ohio. I had not been in Athens since I was a teenager. I figured a city full of college students would have some inexpensive and fun shopping options.
UNHONORABLE MENTION!
Artifacts Gallery
 2 West State St.
Athens, Ohio 45701

This is the first time and hopefully the last time I will have to do this. I was so excited to see and go into this store. Once I got inside I became so uninspired. This was not because of the stuff they sold. The store was super cool! The jewelry was fun and so were the clothes and shoes. What was not cool was the lack of customer service. I have worked many years of my life in retail and it is never okay to completely ignore your customers. I was never greeted or spoken to at all. The store is not that big and the majority of my time there I  spent looking at jewelry with the associates an arms length distance away from me. Not Cool!
Random House
 12 West State St.
Athens, Ohio 45701
After a very disappointing experience up the street, I ran into Random House. It was not much to look at but it offered a few exciting pieces.
I found the store to be cluttered and unorganized. There were items in boxes like these masks I came across as I walked in the store. I wondered if the store had newly opened.
I make a habit of walking through an entire store before I start making selections. I made a metal note of these very cute earrings as I walked past the cash wrap toward the back of the store.
I know there are many anti-fur people out there but I will not apologize for not being one of them. I love fur. I wear it all, real or faux. This silver fox jacket caught my eye. It is just like the one my grandma gave me when I was in high school. I wore it until it fell apart. It is now a pair of legwarmers. 
I went back to the cash wrap to take a closer look at the earrings I saw earlier when I saw a worthy piece hanging from a mannequin hand. I love crosses and this one was large like I like them. Mine! 
left to right: blue made for Lazarus fedora from Cabins to Castles (Lebanon) $13, Kate & Macy ladybug bracelet from Beneath the Tree (Lebanon) $10 & cross from Random House (Athens) $4
details on Kate & Macy bracelet
cross from Random House
Look for these items in future closet blogs! Fashionista's, antiquers & store owners! Got a store or area I should visit? Leave me a comment.
Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,

No comments: