Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Style Crush

Happy Wednesday! In time for #WomenCrushWednesday, I have one of my favorite women that I follow on instagram. I have been following her since I became active on instagram. Her passion for fashion is like no one else I have come across. She truly has her own unique style. The looks she puts together are creative and fun. I am also a huge admirer of her gorgeous mane. Her hair, some would say, gives me life. She puts thought into all she does, from the creations she designs to the way she curates her photos. Have a look at today's 'Style AND Hair Crush'.


Renita Biddle. 40. Designer/Merchandiser


My take on fashion:

 I believe fashion is an art, an innate ability that some are gifted with. It's an amazing form of expression among other art forms. I created this quote to define how I feel about fashion: "Fashion is a conduit of expression for creative souls." 
Fashion is empowering, sexy, fun, mystical, crazy, cool, edgy, sweet, clean, anything the individual wants to convey. Fashion is spontaneous, a mood, an attitude, a language!! This is why we celebrate icons like Audrey Hepburn, Diana Ross, Rhianna, Sarah Jessica Parker. We celebrate them because they fully express their personalities through their style, choices of clothing.



Where I have been:

From a very early age, I knew fashion was my sphere of expression. It started with creating wedding dresses for my Barbie dolls, then in high school revamping all of my grandmother's old clothes, then eventually I got formal fashion design training at my Alma mater Parsons School of Design. It's funny because fashion has always been the backdrop for everything I've ever done. I was a rapper in high school and won a talent show hosted by Teddy Riley. Even then my fashion sense was what got me noticed. When I first moved to New York, a talent agent spotted me and immediately I got a job for a British Airways advertisement. It was that certain something I exuded that caught the agent's eye. It's amazing how our insecurities or things we've been ridiculed or rejected for are often the very areas that radiate our greatest gifts. I've learned the importance of being yourself even in the face of rejection or opposition.



I am passionate about:

 I get the greatest joy out of creating. Creating scripts, garments, photos, all things creative. I'm loaded with creative ideas. I've created spiritually empowering programs for several ministries in the church environment. I've served as a singles ministry leader, a woman's day ministry. I've always loved being an inspiration to people. Ministry provided me the opportunity to inspire people with my creativity, but most importantly through Gods holy word. I appreciate my gift with fashion most because it attracts people and it's given me the privilege of knowing many amazing people. I live by the scripture that says:
"A man's gift maketh room for him,
and bringeth him before great men." 
Proverbs 18:16



You can find me:

 I totally love exploring new things!! At the top of my favorite things to do is finding the craziest places to eat!! I enjoy trying new and sometimes strange foods. As long as it's not moving, I'll eat it!! Lol!! I can be found shopping some of the coolest vintage shops in East Village and Lower East Side. I often travel to Soho to check out the latest designer frocks. I love Soho as it offers you a cool mix of downtown chic and uptown glam at the same time. I enjoy good horror movies! Horror like you keep the lights on at night!! I'm a coffee connoisseur, I must have a good cup of coffee everyday!! My current fave is a Vente iced coffee with toffee nut syrup and half and half!! A total guilty pleasure!!



Want to know more about Renita?

Website
http://www.cherubim.co

Blog 
www.cherubim.co/#!blog/cioi

Instagram
@cherubimrb 

Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris, 

2 comments:

Shavon said...

What an Awesome Designer!! A very talented and gifted soul living out her passion in this thing we call life!

This was such an awe inspiring feature!! Thank you for celebrating her! 👍🏽

ChrisKris said...

Shavon, Thank you so much for reading! We are inspired by Renita as well.

Kristin,