Monday, July 23, 2012

Style Adventures Vol. 3 ( Kelley's Island & Attica, Ohio)


STYLE ADVENTURES 

(Kelley's Island & Attica, Ohio 7/21 & 7/22)


This is a blog about how to add to your wardrobe using antique shops, thrift stores, yard sales and other venues. We travel Ohio and beyond discovering unique and stylish items we want to share and the places we found them.


Vi's Island Treasures
211 E. Lakeshore
Kelley's Island, Ohio
First I want to apologize ahead of time for some of these pictures not being as clear as they are normally. I don't have a professional photographer so sometimes we get it right and sometimes it's just okay.

 I spent the weekend hopping the islands of Lake Erie. I'd planned to go to the Kelley's Island Fest with the fella for months. We got there and I was not super impressed with the festival and the island was not what I expected either. It was nothing like Put in Bay. It was super laid back but still kind of fun because it was different. We rented a golf cart and drove around the island and ended up running into the newest gift shop on the island, a place called Vi's Island Treasures next to a large home called Kelley's Mansion.
Light house glass table

The store is stocked with nautical related furniture, lamps and souvenirs. There are lots of lighthouses, seagulls and seashells. There is also an abundance of my favorite thing, jewelry. I was so excited noticing she had a lot of swarovski crystal jewelry. There were swarovski covered sunglasses and watches as well. 



The necklaces were very colorful and summery. She had shell and stone pieces. There were also quite a few fun pairs of earrings using images like flip flops and the state bird, the cardinal. The ones that caught my eye were red bicycles. I thought these were brilliant.
The bicycle earrings in red and blue


I am a sucker for novelty! I know this isn't clothing or accessories. I fell in love with these, not because they were something I had never seen but because they had a pair of tweezers for everyone. I was given a pair similar as a gift from my mom and thought they were great but the girl didn't look like me. It's amazing how things like that make a difference but it makes you feel good to be represented. I immediately snatched up the brown girl tweezers with curly black hair. Mine!

I did not leave with a lot but I was impressed with the selection. I did take home my black girl Uptown Girlz tweezers. They will get used once a week. Shop total $3.95 plus tax

Second Time Around
8534 S. State Rt. 4
Attica, Ohio 44807



Sunday on the way home from the shores and islands of Lake Erie, we stopped at a place I discovered last month on the way to Sandusky during another ride with the fella. I was super excited to be stopping through again. Second Time Around use to be a public school in Attica in the early nine-teen hundreds. The couple who run the place and also live on site, kept some of the school interior remnants. When you walk in behind the desk where the transactions take place you will find an enclose bulletin board with eerie black and white class pictures, old news articles and hand written notices. In the room to the left you will find the chalkboards as they hung exactly 100 years ago. This is the anniversary year. Since the couple live in the shop, you are welcome to ring the doorbell at any time if you want to browse or shop. If they are there, they will open up for you.
bulletin board from when the school was open
Class from 1914, two years after the school opened

chalk boards in what use to be a classroom in the early 1900's

When I got to the shop, this is the first place I went. Last time I was there I found two great pairs of earrings. I  hoped the clutch I saw last time was still there. Unfortunately for me it wasn't, but there were new pieces and I was leaving with something. They have a large case with pull out shelves full of all kinds of vintage jewelry and accessories. Some things are just okay but somethings are exceptional. I try to find the exceptional.

After looking at everything I start trying on things and start to narrow down my options. Clip-ons are usually funky and more exciting than the pierced earrings but may not be easy to convert so I sometimes walk away from those.

The first thing that caught my eye was an earring and bracelet set made of faux pearls and faux turquoise. I tried on the bracelet and it fit. It just needed a good cleaning. Mine!

Then I found this ring. It was clearly not in the best shape. It was tarnished mostly but it was still very charming and felt Old Hollywood. Mine!

I walked away from the jewelry to see what else there was to see. There is stuff all over but one of my other favorite areas in the store is the tea set wall. I use to collect these when I was little. My grandma gave me a few collectibles and I actually drank real tea out of them. They have a lot of beautiful sets in the shop.

I stopped to look in my second favorite room, which is full of toys, all kinds of posters and signs. It is the most interesting room in the place. I don't ever find anything in there that I want but I like looking in it.

I finally gathered up my selections and it was time to head home with my goodies. I had a long eventful weekend so I was excited about my bed.

Left to right: wood earrings and pearl screw on $2.00, pearl ring $1.50 and bracelet/ earring set $10
Total $13.50


Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,




No comments: