Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Happy Nappy Gal! Happy Anniversary to My Hair !?!

Happy 1 Year Anniversary to My Hair!!!

I have been so busy this past month, I celebrated my belated one year natural hair anniversary this past Sunday. The original day was September 20th but I was out of town helping a friend with a job so I didn't have time to reflect on my year let alone celebrate. I was asked earlier September by one of my hair idol's Koku Gonza, what I planned to do for my hair birthday. Would I buy my hair a cake? Well, I went out for breakfast, bought myself a cupcake and stopped at the beauty store for shea butter which is a large part of my hair regimen. Yes, I put a candle in my cupcake and blew it out as well. My hair wish? I will keep that to myself just as if it were a regular birthday wish but I do want to leave you with somethings I have learned to appreciate the first year of my natural hair journey.

Natural hair is a lot of work but I am not complaining. My hair is the healthiest it has ever been. It is more versatile and fashion forward. It grows really fast, as a matter of fact my hair is back to the original length it was before my big chop. I love that when the wind blows it doesn't get stuck to my lipgloss. It is a conversation starter everywhere I go. When I want to wear it straight, I can straighten it with no chemicals involved. I have not had a chemical burn on my scalp in well over a year. This is the hair I was born with and I have never felt more beautiful.

My 1 Year Hair !!!


My First Natural Hair Closet Post
September 22, 2012

Saturday September 22, 2012, I posted my first Kris's Closet with my newly chopped hair. I had been without a relaxer for a few months so that I would not be completely bald when I said "goodbye relaxer". I ended up with close to three inches of hair and I quickly learned my first hair style, the finger coil. I loved my hair but I was nervous about how people would perceive me. I quickly reminded myself that it was about how I saw myself that mattered. 

The Stages of My Growth
Left to right: before natural, 2 days after my big chop, a week after my 1 year mark

Thank you for being a part of my journey!
Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,


No comments: