Sunday, October 27, 2013

Style Adventures Vol. 15 (Columbus,Ohio)

STYLE ADVENTURES 

(Columbus,OH 10/13)


This post is about how to add to your wardrobe using antique shops, thrift stores, yard sales and other venues. We travel Ohio and beyond discovering unique and stylish items we want to share and the places we found them.


Earlier this month on a Sunday I went to a local vendor event, that a friend of mine was a part of. Take a look at some of my favorite artists.





The event was at Franklin Park Conservatory, if you have not been there you must go. It really is a hidden gem, such a beautiful space. Kristin and I go fairly often for happy hour events. When I pulled up, there were cars everywhere and signs for valet parking, I was thinking "Wow, this event is huge", but I later found out there was a wedding going on at the same time.

When I first walked into the event I noticed the same type of vendors I usually notice at artisan events here in Columbus, Healthy food vendors,Ohio State Buckeye trinkets,oven mitts, well you get the idea. I was thinking my friend would not fit in at the event and I didn't see her table. As I entered the second room, I saw some more unique/creative vendors.

So as I am writing this I see that all of my notes have been erased out of my ipad...ughhh, darn technology. So now I am writing what I remember. Note to self: use old school notebook next time.



The first designer that caught me eye was Lisa McLymont. Her pieces were very simple, but creative. Just by looking at the table I could tell how much detail went into each piece. As I started talking to her, she told me that she was a graphic designer, even giving me tips on my personal business cards, and offering assistance with my logo, if needed.



After talking with Lisa for a while, I found out that she specializes in home decor, but does many events where jewelry is just smaller and more accessible. She speaks with so much passion about her work, I had to quote this directly from her facebook page: " I made my connection to copper and it’s wonders through jewelry making, and now use it to solve all sorts of challenges. Besides it’s warm sheen and easy malleability, I’ve come to enjoy illustrating with this metal. Drawing with a 3-dimensional line is constantly an exercise in the creative use of problem solving, patience, focus and imagination. Making each piece is also like choreographing a dance. well. the way I think choreographers choreograph. :D"


I love that every piece is handmade, hammered and molded by the artist herself. Be sure to check her out!




I finally saw my fried Lisa Scott's table. I absolutely love her jewelry it is so creative and out of the box. Her brand is called funkilovely. Have you ever me someone who is so encouraging and inspiring, and after you have a conversation with them, you leave with good vibes? She is very much that type of person, I love talking to her.

She would not allow me to take a pic of her, claiming she's not photogenic, but I don't believe her. I stole this pic from her facebook page. 


When you see Lisa's designs you will see a lot of denim,beads and leather. She has everything from statement necklaces,rings,wrist cuffs,foot jewelry and more. Her pictures speak for themselves.





As I walking through the vendors, these colorful bangles caught my eye. I had to go over to the table. This is where I met Julie Macala, creator of "Branching Creations". After talking to Julie, I learned that she has always been a visual artist, moreso with sketching and drawing. She explained to me that now she just has a different canvas and draws on wood with wood burning, even including color using watercolors and colored pencils.


Everything is handmade and created in her home in Clintonville. Julie also does custom orders, along with plaques, jewelry boxes and more. 


Thank you to all of the artists for allowing me to feature you. To find out more information about them please click on the underlined company names.

Until Next Time, Ciao!

*Chris*

No comments: