Thursday, February 4, 2016

Iconic Style: Black History Month Edition

Black History month is one of my favorite times to blog. Having the opportunity to write about what excites me most combined with black culture excites me. Iconic Style, will spotlight women who have made a worldwide statement through their style. This month we will feature black women from popular TV sitcoms from the late 80's through early 90's. The women featured gave us more than style, they each had some type of je ne sais quoi. Stay tuned to hear all about how these women positively impacted television.

 
 
Denise Huxtable
 
 
Every Thursday night at 8pm my sisters and I would gather around the TV waiting for The Cosby Show to come on. Watching each episode was like the first time, I was giddy and filled with excitement, eagerly waiting to see what sassy things Rudy would say, what Theo was getting in trouble for, what interesting thing Vanessa was doing, and how Denise was going to rebel this time. At the time I was closer to Rudy's age, therefore I related to her and she was my favorite character. Denise was like the ideal big sister, she was cool, adventurous, rebellious, she went to college and her style was crazy. Now that I am older I remember her role much more clearly and realized the impact she made, writing this series allowed me to reflect on her character.
 
Things we can learn from Denise:
 
1. Live outside the box. Walking to the beat of her own drum was the true essence of this Cosby kid. She did exactly what made her happy, she didn't get everyone's approval, but she wasn't expecting it.
 
2. Learn lessons firsthand. Denise was rebellious, she experienced everything on her own. As the second oldest she went through a lot of trial and error, but we learn the best from our own mistakes, right?
 
3. Find yourself. When being asked why she was leaving Hillman, Denise responded by saying..."And who am I? An industrious young woman who wants to examine life without...pressure!" Enough said.
 
4. Stand for what you believe in. No matter how silly Denise may have sounded justifying her actions or lack thereof she was confident and bold when giving her answers to the many questions. She believed in herself so much that her quirky responses rolled off of her tongue naturally.
 
5. Wear what you like. Denise's style was free-spirited, bohemian,and eccentric much like her personality. Denise made her life choices just like she made her fashion choices, based upon what she liked, not based upon other people's opinions.



Over the weekend, Kristin and I went to free Sunday's at the museum. We ate lunch, looked at wonderful exhibits and then mimosas for me and beer for Kristin. Because I was already so inspired by Denise I decided to draw some style inspiration from her for the trip to the museum. This is what I wore.


Stay tuned for our next Iconic Style series next Thursday. The stylish woman I am spotlighting loved her hats and her curly hair. Can you guess who she is?
Be Blessed! Be Free! Be Fashionable!
Chris


No comments: