Friday, February 12, 2016

Fun Fashion Friday

It's 'Fun Fashion Friday'! In these posts I will bring you the playful side of fashion. Fashion doesn't always have to be so serious. I am a big fan of really funky, fun pieces. I admit to loving my fun or bizarre items more than the classic ones; even if some of my friends hate and make fun of them. After all, fashion is about self expression and SHOULD BE fun.




Hilary Banks Part 2
 Yesterday Christina talked about Hilary Banks from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Today I add my two scents. In the 90s she was a personal style icon to me. I was in middle school for most of the show but I was very aware of fashion. I was trying my hardest not to wear anything twice in a school year and I mostly succeeded. Those were the days when my mom and I bonded by spending Saturdays shopping for the coming week. It was nothing too expensive, remember Ten Below clothing stores and Lerner New York before it became New York & Company? I remember using her style as inspiration. She and an acquaintance of mine contributed to my love of hats. If you follow me on instagram, I am in a hat in half of my photos. I remember how coordinated Hilary always was. She had a matching hat, handbag and shoes for just about every outfit. She was always shopping. She would come into the house after a serious shopping binge and ask for more money for a new hat.

Hilary Banks Moments On Tees

Wear a moment from the show on your chest from these two online shops! I love Rage On's collage tees and this one is a true homage to the pampered money loving Hilary Banks. She loved spending daddy's money to keep her appearance flawless, making the lipstick, cash and credit card behind her image so appropriate. If this tee is a little busy for you, the Memo Apparel tee with her wearing the cutest cut-out shoulder outfit is the way to go. She is still doing what she does best, "primping".  She is polishing her nails as she shoots off one of her honest but mean girl phrases.



For my true fashionistas, now it's time to shop her style. We know Hilary for her hats but Hilary also loved her color-block looks. In the 90s color-blocking was so in and she wore a lot of it. Her wardrobe was full of suits, sweaters, dresses and hats that featured color-block designs. When she wasn't in full on color-block looks and hats, she was usually going on a date or someplace cool like the Playboy Mansion. She would throw on a little black or red dress and kept it simple by wearing one color.  It is so easy to do that with black but I wondered how she could match a red dress, shoes and a bag so perfectly. That is a skill! Well, maybe not if you have the help of Philip Banks money. Well, I did my best to bring you the most Hilary Banks worthy looks. I curated all three looks using items from the etsy community. Shop if you must or use the looks for inspiration.


Hilary was not afraid of bright colors, in fact she wore a few at a time often. Though some of the looks were a little loud for some people, she was always polished and ladylike. Her style was bold, fun yet feminine. She added ladylike touches like brooches, flowers and pearls. She was also a fan of strappy pumps.  


Shop The Look



Shop The Look


 
Shop This Look
Earrings
Clutch


This is a middle school look inspired by Hilary. I was so in love with this violet hat and pants suit as you can see from the cheesy smile on my face. I thought I was Kristin Hilary Banks.








Thank you for checking out today's Fun Fashion Friday! I hope you enjoyed the Hilary Banks looks. Next week we will be posting a new character from Black Television past.
 Hint: She was a true class act and had a high pitched little voice.

Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,


 

No comments: