Monday, February 8, 2016

Heritage & Home

Decorate with Black History

I celebrate and support black businesses all year round but during Black history month, I absolutely make a point to share my favorite things produced by black business owners. I have been thinking a lot about home furnishing lately and after some research, I  found some cool businesses that produce colorful pieces. Last year I featured one of these businesses for their t-shirts and now they have expanded their art into home accessories. I also want to share a brand that Christina introduced me to recently. Nothing makes me happier than being able to find items made in my image. It is much different than it was when I was a child. There are so many people creating things now and with the world at our fingertips, it is so easy to access the items with the keys of our phones and other computer devises.


 AG On Canvas

I featured Accidental Genius Clothing last Black History Month for their tees, I live in them  daily. I am pleased to reintroduce them to the blog with an emphasis on the home accessories they introduced a few months ago. The same images I love on their tees are now available on throw pillows and as wall art. The images range from historic icons like Dorothy Dandridge, Lena Horne and our first lady to today's hip hop and neo soul artists. Follow them on Instagram for merchandise updates and sales.

Shop the brand  



Pardon My Fro 

I was introduced to this brand by Christina. She is currently decorating her apartment with some of the art prints. I suddenly wished I lived alone so I could justify decorating with such proud afro-feminine images. Since I live with someone who does not share my design aesthetic or culture, I showcase my pride in my wardrobe. I love to look at her pieces though. The items are so colorful and beautiful. Other than the wall art prints, you can purchase products such as: shower curtains, throw pillows, throw blankets, duvet covers and wall tapestries. My favorite items are the zodiac pillows. You can also purchase totes, if you want to incorporate the images into your wardrobe.

Shop the Brand  
Shop Affiliate Site for Shower Curtain & Bedding



Black History Month is a great time to expose yourself to black history and also to the products that the history has inspired. These products are items that are still very rare in everyday shopping establishments. That is part of what makes them special but also because they cater to a market that is very much ignored in many cases. I am in no way affiliated with either of these companies. I just find it very important to support them because they had an idea that many had before them but they laid the groundwork and made it happen. They did it for themselves but also for me as a black women who doesn't see my image in everyday shopping experiences. Believe it or not, that is important.

Happy Black History Month!
Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,

No comments: