Friday, February 19, 2016

Fun Fashion Friday

It's 'Fun Fashion Friday'! In these posts I will bring you the playful side of fashion. Fashion doesn't always have to be so serious. I am a big fan of really funky, fun pieces. I admit to loving my fun or bizarre items more than the classic ones; even if some of my friends hate and make fun of them. After all, fashion is about self expression and SHOULD BE fun.




Whitley Gilbert Part 2

We posted a review of the Whitley's Iconic style and life philosophies yesterday. Today I am bringing you a Whitley Gilbert shopping experience. If you ever wanted to dress like the whinny voiced character, I have made it easy for you with a few mostly inexpensive pieces with the help of the etsy community. Whitley Gilbert was the epitome of class and ladylike characteristics. Her style was simple yet sophisticated. I always thought she had such grown up style for the age of her character. She never seemed to be trying to find herself, she just knew what she wanted and liked. She always came across like she knew she was on another level and everyone else needed to elevate themselves. 


A Whitley TV Moment

Before I get into my three looks, I have to shout out one of my favorite brands. I know everyone isn't into style enough to want to wear an outfit inspired by a television character but who doesn't love a great tee or sweatshirt.  Accidental Genius Clothing never lets me down.When we started the Iconic Style series for Black History Month, I was pleased to find this sweatshirt on his website. I own the tee, which I have posted at the close of this post. You can find this sweatshirt and many other iconic black women like Dorothy Dandridge, Lena Horne and Diana Ross.
  

It is now time to check out the looks I curated. For Whitley I have taken it a step forward. The houndstooth skirt, black top and pearls have been done so many times in blogs, I wanted to come with something different. Instead of creating looks from my head like I did on the previous characters, I took three unexpected photos featured in my Whitley collage to created looks that are very similar to things she wore on the show. I have duplicated the looks as closely as possible using items from etsy. I used the first and second photos from the top.The first look was an example of the two piece suits she wore to class. In the second photo, she turned up the sex appeal to go out. I also wanted to duplicate her casual look featuring a fur coat located at the bottom/middle of the collage. She rarely wore jeans but when she did, she was still so sophisticated like this look wearing a fur coat over her ethnic style vest and henley.






 

Shop The Look



Shop The Look
Boyfriend Jeans
I have never been a two piece suit kind of girl. While Whitley is one of my favorite tv characters from my childhood, her style was and still is a little toned down for me. I wore fur coats like Whitey but it was late middle through high school. At the time wearing fur was considered strange to my peers as it must have been for Whitley's peers seeing her dressed as if she was going into a paying job daily. I was a funkier kind of dresser but I recognize how Whitley Gilbert influenced my style. As a girl originally from the south, I could relate to her and was excited to see her each week. She echoed the things my mother taught me everyday about looking and being the best me I could be.

The look below featuring an Accidental Genius Clothing Whitley Gilbert Bougie tee is from last winter. It was a Kris's Closet Post.


Look for my final Fun Fashion Friday next week! It will feature my all time favorite character who wanted to go to college for the same thing I ended up going to college for, Fashion Design.

Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris, 

No comments: