Friday, April 22, 2016

Dress Up With Sweats

Athleisure has become a way of life. We stay in our sweats and stretchy clothing whenever we can. People want to be comfortable, that's why the dreadful legging worn like pants look won't go away. I admit, I am in sweats most of the week when I have no plans of leaving the confines of my home. I occasionally wear them to the grocery store but no where else. I grew up believing sweats were for inside the house or exercise but later wore them to my fashion design classes. It's hard to dress up when you are in college with early classes and long days sitting on stools at high draft tables and squatting under body forms to get a perfect hem. Now, I am an adult who loves to embrace fashion trends but somethings take a little more effort, like retraining my way of thinking when it comes to sweatpants. Today designers are creating sweats that look a lot like pants we wear everyday, which makes wearing them to work or for play easier. They look like slacks, they come covered with wild patterns, they are made out of dressier fabrics and are even embellished with sequins.

Look 1
Boho Chic Sweats

Tribal Print Sweats by Akademics
Denim Shirt by Dickies
Sweater old from Meijer
Hat was my grandpa's
Levity Echo Bootie Sandal
Tote by Brother Veillies for Tumi
Jewelryby Baublebar
Sunglasses by Quay 
  


I love when people give me clothes. I am talking hand me downs! It's thrift without opening my purse. This look was created with mostly items that were given to me. The sweatpants were rejects from my teenage nephews closet. He didn't like them but I love them. The denim button up is a men's shirt that a family friend didn't want. The rest of the items I have had a while except for the purse which I will discuss in more detail very soon.

Two weeks ago,I treated the tribal printed sweatpants just like a pair or any printed pants. Instead of going super match-y, I decided to pair the busy print with classic neutrals. You can pair a denim or chambray shirt with just about anything and camel and off white are always easily paired. I finished the look with silver bohemian style accessories like a fringe chain necklace and a slave bracelet.










Look 2
Sporty Rocker Sweats

Sweats by Victoria Secret Pink
Chambray Button up by Apt 9 Kohls
Vest by INC
Oxfords by Tildon
Purse by Michael Kors


Yesterday I wore these black sweatpants with a silver sequin stripe up each side. I have worn them before on the blog but with sneaker wedges in a more toned down way.  I paired these sparkly sweats with a lighter chambray button up with a silver studded collar and a long INC vest. The vest and pants were given to me by my mom. More hand me downs! I wanted to wear black pumps but it was rainy so I opted for a pair of black and white checkered oxfords. 




A Few Tips To Working Sweatpants Into Your Daily Wardrobe!

1. Select sweatpants that fit and aren't too baggy.

2. Treat them like regular pants.

3. To get away with wearing them for work, select a straight leg style without a banded bottom

4. A button up will make most sweats more style friendly.

5. Choose shoes other than sneakers to dress up sweatpants. If you must wear sneakers, select a non-traditional more stylish pair to increase style factor and sophistication.

A Few Fun Styles

Adidas Floral Burst
H&M mens denim
Halston Tapered Sweatpants


I hope this inspires you to look at
sweats in a different way. I challenge you to pull out your best pair and style them for a day out this weekend.


Until next time!
Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable! 
Kris, 


No comments: