Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Last Word by Karen

Flared Jeans and Culottes
The resurgence of 1970 styles

My Look: Top, Jacket & Flares by White House Black Market, shoes Nine West

As fashion trends re-emerge,  you wonder why you didn't keep the clothing you previously owned. Just think, if you had the space to store clothes from the 1970's would you?  I'm sure the flare jeans and culottes sold back in the day have changed slightly from the items being sold in 2015.

Flare Jeans 
Flares from my high school days. Hanging out with grandma.

I have worn skinny jeans since they became popular in 2007, I have now decided to throw in a couple of pairs of jeans with "flare".  My previous flared jeans were never worn "as is", I decorated them with ribbons, hands and flowers in high school and college,  I embroidered my astrological sign and symbol on them along with my initials and the initials of my college sweetheart. My mom thought the jeans with the hands were a little crass.  When people asked me to embellish their jeans I complied, then I stopped wearing mine. I wasn't trying to look like 
  everybody else.


Culottes

photo courtesy of stylishtwo.com

Culottes have also made a comeback. According to Wikipedia the women's fashion industry has taken a word that has historically been used to describe mens garments to describe a split, bifurcated skirt or any garment which hangs like a skirt but is actually pants.
My Look: Top & Culottes by White House Black Market, shoes LAMB

If you didn't like 1970's styles the first time around, give one of the trends a try. It will give you additional options for your wardrobe.  Maybe you saved old pairs of gently used flares or culottes, if not,  buy the 2015 versions.

There's nothing new under the sun!

One day at a time!
Karen,




No comments: