Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Last Word by Karen



Think Pink

Pink is a pale red color most commonly associated with charm, politeness, sensitivity, tenderness, sweetness, childhood, the feminine and the romantic.  Pink was first used as a color name in the late 17th century.

Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, Oxford English Dictionary online.

Shades of pink include blush, coral, fuchsia, hot pink, magenta, raspberry, rose and salmon.




Ellen DeGeneres plays a game on her show with guest called "Never Have I Ever." If the question was asked, as a little girl or adolescent did you wear pink?, my answer would be "I have never."

Most little girls love pink.  As a child I was never a fan of pink. I remember always wearing red, white, a combination of the two and bright yellow. All of the pictures from my formative years bear witness to my mothers color choice. Both my mother and I are members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., whose colors are red and white. I asked  mom once why she always dressed me in red and white and she informed me that her color choice for my clothing was not based on her affiliation. Mom felt that pink washed me out and that the vibrancy of red better suited my personality. When Easter came around my Easter dress was red, my bonnet white, no pink for me.



This spring my  favorite shopping spot, White House Black Market, featured various shades of pink in their spring clothing offerings.


My Picks!!!

The White House Black Market shirt flatters the pant that it is paired with.  In addition, the shirt can be worn with the Vivetta Tobia Polka Dot Pencil Skirt.

1. Tie Blouse White House Black Market (old)
2. Color-block Skirt Ted Baker London from Nordstrom (sold out)
3. Suede Lace Up Pumps by Sam Edelman

 
Print on Print


For me pink will be a way to think outside the box, a complete departure from the norm. I will never wear clothing that is predominately pink and definitely not pale pink, but I will add some shades of pink to my black and white. It is always good to introduce new color to your wardrobe or incorporate things you thought you'd never wear,  as long as they are complimentary.
 

One day at a time!

Karen

No comments: