Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Happy Nappy Gal! Going Straight

Going Straight

It will be two years in September that I did my big chop and went natural. Don't worry, I am still very natural and plan to remain that way until my last day. Thursday I decided to get my hair washed, trimmed and flat ironed. It was the first time my hair had been straightened since I started this natural hair journey. I have to say that while I love being natural and realize how versatile it is, once straight I started missing my natural curls immediately. I noticed things that I forgot were an issue in my previous hair life, like needing to pull my hair back during activities like cooking and putting on make-up. I forgot how annoying it is to constantly collect the hair from your glossy lips when the wind blows. Wind is currently not my friend. It has also been quite warm this past few days and long straight hair on your shoulders is just plain hot and not in the good way. While I understand that I am not my hair, thank you India Arie, I feel a little less unique with my straight hair in a world 
where most women are wigged, weaved or relaxed.While the only thing between my straight and curly predicament is really just a good douse of water, I am doing my best to hold out because who knows how long it will be before I do this again. While natural curly hair may not be everyone's idea of beauty, I notice that many of us are natural or going natural. We are changing the way we look at ourselves and slowly changing the ideals of those around us. With that said, I can't wait until a full week is over so I can happily embrace my big hair again.
 

Do you prefer your hair straight or curly?

Be blessed! Be Free! Be Fashionable!
Kris, 

No comments: