Monday, August 6, 2012

Style Adventures Vol. 4 ( Chesterville & Columbus)

STYLE ADVENTURES 

(Chesterville & Columbus, Ohio 8/4 & 8/5)


This is a blog about how to add to your wardrobe using antique shops, thrift stores, yard sales and other venues. We travel Ohio and beyond discovering unique and stylish items we want to share and the places we found them.


Chesterville Flea Market 
State Route 95
Chesterville, Ohio

Saturday I was in Mid- Ohio to watch the car races and on the way back to Columbus I ran into Chesterville Flea Market. To look at this place, it doesn't look like much. Inside the flea market it's much of the same feeling. Like any other store or market, I always try to give it a chance. In this case I am glad that I did.

The flea market is owned by John and Joelyn Lanning. It's located on State Route 95 in between Columbus and Cleveland. You can see the bright  flags from the road. The flea market houses antiques, collectibles and home grown and handmade products from the locals. The place smelled strong of garlic. They had these small packages of freshly processed pure Asian garlic powder. The stuff was clearly very potent.
 
One of the first shops I looked at was E&G House of Treasures which made me really excited about football season returning. A whole side of his section was Ohio State gear for women. He had Ohio State earrings, headbands and really cute purses.  
I almost got this jersey cross-body. Maybe next time!

I walked through the entire building and quickly learned where I needed to be. Off in the far left corner there were three people sitting. I was greeted by a very pleasant woman. I started rummaging through a shoe box filled with antique jewelry. The first piece I found was a large ethnic/tribal metal statement necklace. I asked the lady the price and she responded 25 cents. I must of had a look of confusion on my face because she repeated herself and said everything in that box is 25 cents. I quickly looked through the box and found more and more pieces. A blue fuzzy thread necklace, a pair of vintage pearl dangles, a rhinestone barrette, a wood and rope necklace and a cute pair of  silver clip-on earrings that I could easily convert. 

The shop is owned by the woman's father who use to have a record shop. Records were the largest part of the inventory in the space next to many other antiques and collectibles. 
This is what I bought left to right: large metal tribal necklace, rhinestone barrette, fuzzy blue thread necklace, antique pearl dangle earrings, silver dangle clip-on earrings and wood and rope necklace. Total $1.50
Roses 
1501 E. Dublin-Granville Rd
Columbus, Ohio

 I have no idea what I thought Roses was but I didn't think it was a department store that included clothing. The stores are still pretty new to Columbus. My mother was telling me last week that the intern that works in her office had on cute dresses that she got from the store for $6 and $8 and that intrigued me. I am all about the bargain if it's quality. I have been riding past the Roses stores for like a year so I thought it was time I payed one of the locations a visit. I put it on my weekend itinerary. So Sunday after a short stroll through the Dublin Irish Fest I made my way to Roses with less than 30 minutes to shop.

When I arrived I was not impressed right away. The selection felt very cheap. The visual displays reminded me of stores I liked when I was in middle school, full of polyester spandex blends. I liked the wholesale price points but the clothing didn't feel like they were worth any more than what they were marked. It took me a while to find anything I liked. When I was just about to write the place off as just a good place to buy basics, I started finding some worthy pieces.
I have been looking for a high-low hemline that I liked for months and on a $7 rack, there it was. This skirt was colorful and my size. It was working two summer trends, the high-low hemline and was covered in a tribal/ethnic print. Mine! I quickly snatched the skirt up then moved on to explore the rest of the store. 

I had not seen a lot that I felt like I needed to take home but I made a mental note of the different staple items that they carried. This place was ideal for socks, basic tees and tanks. It would be worth the time to visit this store for those items especially with the price points. As for the selection of stylish items, it gets tricky. While they are pretty accurate on the trends, if you are a mannequin shopper and don't like to search through racks, this is not going to be the store for you. The good stuff is hidden amongst some of the most hideous. 

This is what I took home from Roses. High-low tribal print maxi skirt $ 7.50 plus tax

I spent less than $10 Saturday & Sunday for a skirt, two pairs of earrings, three necklaces and a barrette! It was a winning weekend. Let me know if you know places I need to check out!

Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,






No comments: