Monday, April 29, 2013

What Inspired Our Heavy Metal Collection? Part I The Music

What Inspired Our Heavy Metal Collection?

Many of you have become familiar with us just recently as bloggers but we have been known for wardrobe styling a few years now and even longer as designers. We have been designing together since 2004 but we began designing costume jewelry and accessories around the end of 2009. Last year we began focusing on building collections and created our first two collections, Cotton Candy and Vegas last spring. This winter we started work on a collection inspired by Rock & Roll combined with industrial elements. We introduced and sold some pieces of the Heavy Metal collection during the holidays but the collection will become available online this Wednesday  We had so much positive feedback on this collection but many wanted to understand more about what inspired us to create it. In this post I will share with you my personal photos as well as research photos I found online of our muses. This is where it began....


The Music!!!

personal photos left to right: concert sign at Alrosa Villa 6/29/12, Tesla concert ticket 8/16/12, The Offspring set 7/18/12 

Spring and Summer 2012, I attended quite a few concerts with my beau Leo. He is a huge fan of 80's hair bands and many genres of rock, so when there was a band he wanted to see, I was at his side in my closest impression of what a stylish rock loving babe would wear. I wanted to fit in as much as possible but still managed to stick out like a sore thumb, usually the only little black girl in attendance and wearing little black sequin shorts with python stilettos. Among the many concerts I attended I saw heavy metal and hard rock bands like Cinderella, Tesla, Great White and Faster Pussycat. I saw glam metal band Pretty Boy Floyd and punk band The Offspring. As I watched these concerts, the fans and listened to the music, I envisioned jewelry pieces that I could see on Steve Summers of Pretty Boy Floyd or Tom Keifer of Cinderella. I envisioned pieces I would want to wear myself to concerts like these.  

Jack Russell of Great White 


I began doing research on the bands and the music I was being introduced to. I looked at old photos and payed close attention to their looks from past to present. Jack Russell was tame in comparison to some of the other rock stars that I looked to for inspiration but I loved some of his accessory choices. In photos I have found of him, he wears bohemian/rock bracelets and groups of dangle earrings all at once.
photos courtesy of: eonline.com, my personal photo, eberlyphoto.com, my personal photo, classicrockmagazine.com


Steve Summers of Pretty Boy Floyd

One of my favorite muses for this collection was Steve Summers. When he came out to perform the night I went to see Pretty Boy Floyd, I couldn't help but admire his faux fur jacket. When I began looking through old and current photos of him, I was even more intrigued. The group is considered glam rock and it isn't hard to understand why when you look at their style. Summers layers his necklaces and bracelet. His hats are adorned with studs and spikes. Summer's over the top look inspired some of our boldest pieces.
photos courtesy of: hairbangersradio.ning.com, image 2 & 3 neon-lights.commetalsludge.tv, my personal photo, allacessmagazine.com


Steven Tyler of Aerosmith & Tom Keifer of Cinderella


When I think about iconic rock style, I can't forget about 
Steven   Tyler. I have not seen him in concert but I love his bohemian rocker look. He is not afraid to mix it up or rock a large statement necklace. 

I also really loved Tom Keifer of Cinderella's past looks for some of the same reasons. His look in the past was very bohemian rocker as well. His jewelry stemmed on the edge of tribal and he made fringe on a man look sexy.  
photos courtesy of: sheknows.com, google image,   buzzsugar.com, enmetalship.org, image 4 & 6 fanpop.com

These are the men and bands who inspired the collection. If you are interested in this collection, look for part two of our inspiration tomorrow where we will talk about our industrial inspiration. Check out a bonus photo below!

Be blessed! Be free! Be fashionable!
Kris,


Me & Michele of  Skully's on High Street at the Cinderella Concert

I ran into a woman wearing a onesie feather piece from our Cotton Candy Collection while at the Cinderella Concert last year. She turned out to be an acquaintance of my beau and the owner of one of my favorite bars in Columbus, Skully's. Small world! =)

No comments: